Saturday, April 17, 2010

Free online pc backup / file storage service found

https://mozy.com/home/free offers free online 2GB backup and a downloadable tool to locate media and documents and keep them synchronized (i.e. the most current version uploaded to backup).

I've opted for the unlimited space US$4.95/month (charged in one 12 monthly block -beware I didnt see an option for a lesser term) and use it as a file server - but it's a damn cheap option
either for backing up your computer against collapse or as a temporary location while you upgrade or reformat a pc .

Or just as a remote file location for sharing files with colleagues as I use it.

Update - got sent a link from a friend about Mozy. Apparently their restore functionality is
pretty iffy and users got left with weeks of calls and failed downloads or restores and some gave up completely http://wonko.com/post/it_turns_out_mozy_isnt_so_hot_after_all

I am just using Mozy as a file server so it shouldn't affect me - but I must admit I wasnt impressed when signing up for the paid (pro) option they signed me up for two years.
When I complained I hadnt seen any options they said they would move me back to monthly
and I must have missed the payment selections . I dont miss much on a web interface so they must have put the options somewhere obscure or preselected the most expensive option.

On the same subject I am using the free www.dropbox.com service to synchronize 2Gig online for free also - this service is flawless but their volume option is twice as expensive as Mozy.
But they are a pure file synchronization / backup service that just works.

A review of online file backup services by a reputable reviewer http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,4798,00.asp

d

No comments:

Post a Comment